Arethusa forum

Arethusa discussion forums.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Login / password is independent from other sites. Registration is not required to post, but is required to post links.

#1 2011-03-30 14:28:25

Anonymous
Anonymous

Consequences of VPN disconnection

The posts on Talk-FR concerning the consequences of VPN disconnection and the possible protection benefits of software such as VPNCheck are very interesting.  Perhaps there is a need for a small tutorial in the help section to provide some guidance on the circumstances in which privacy could be compromised with OpenVPN and the practicable steps that can be taken to reduce the danger.

VPNCheck is not so easy to configure for casual users and my experience is that it can create network problems.  Simpler solutions are perhaps more useful for many people..

#2 2011-04-07 16:42:39

Zero

Re: Consequences of VPN disconnection

There is no tutorial because the steps described in the french posts are quite specific. It can actually make things worse if you don't understand the topology of your home network and how your computer is configured.

I have never seen OpenVPN fallback by itself to the real IP address (on Windows).
The only risk is that Windows will remove the OpenVPN routes if the openvpn.exe process crashes.

#3 2011-04-07 18:20:11

Anonymous
Anonymous

I can appreciate the difficulty of different network topologies and different computer configurations  having different issues.   My thought was simply that some general pointers to any obvious potential security risks could help non-expert users.

#4 2011-04-20 16:15:15

Zero

Number 1 security advice: always check what is your public ip address before doing something that really requires privacy. Don't trust what the OpenVPN icon says.

#5 2012-08-08 11:39:18

Michael
User

No need of softwares.

To get protected just execute this in a shell :

route DELETE 0.0.0.0 ROUTER_IP

The traffic will stop if your tunnel disconnects

To reinstall :

route ADD 0.0.0.0 MASK 0.0.0.0 ROUTER_IP

Better put this in batch files.

#6 2012-09-02 04:43:52

Anonymous
Anonymous

Someone can explain Michael's route information and provide similar *nix routes for same purpose?

Board footer